This morning, Daniel and I met up with two other teachers and a husband out at Piute Ponds. Yes, we live in the desert and yet there are ponds, with water too! One of the teachers has been highly involved with the area for about 12 years and takes her students on several field trips to this area during the school year. The other teacher and I are highly interested in taking our classes out here to explore, learn, and observe.
Piute Ponds are actually located on the airforce base. It is something like a wetlands but actually ponds. Lots of wild birds, bullrushes, tamarisk, cattails, herons, and other wildlife. Wish we brought the camera, but pictures will come later when I take my class out. It was so peaceful, calm, serene, and beautiful. This lush area with ponds in the midst of dry lake beds and desert dirt. I am excited to visit many times and take note of certain animals and changes in the environment as the seasons come and go. Oh, and I just remembered that yes, there are frogs out there and you mostly see them as they come up to the surface for air and you see the bubbles. Well, my classroom is frog themed so it fits in.
We spotted raccoon tracks, old owl regurgitation, animal skeletons, and a plethera of birds!
And the adventure continues . . .
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cool. Owl barf.
ReplyDelete